LLNS COMMUNITY GIFT PROGRAM 2019
A Spirit of Giving
As the managing contractor of Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL), Lawrence Livermore National Security, LLC (LLNS) is committed to being a valued citizen and good neighbor in its local communities.
In the spirit of giving, LLNS has established the LLNS Community Gift Program. This year the LLNS Board of Governors has authorized an increase of $50,000 to the program funding which will now provide up to $150,000 to community organizations. Gifts can range in amounts from $1,000 to $10,000. Eligibility criteria and application follow. The primary focus of these gifts are programs and/or projects that support public K-14 science, math and engineering education; public K-14 special needs education and performing arts programs.
The LLNS Community Gift Program is separate and distinct from the annual LLNL HOME (Helping Others More Effectively) Campaign. The HOME Campaign is one of the Tri-Valley and San Joaquin Valley's most generous annual employee-based charity drives. The fundraising drive occurs in October-December of each year.
Gift Program Criteria
The LLNS Community Gift Program is open to publicly funded California K-12 schools, community colleges, 501(c)(3) entities and government agencies serving the Tri-Valley (Livermore, Amador and San Ramon valleys), counties surrounding LLNL, including Alameda, Contra Costa and San Joaquin Counties. Organizations must be sustainable and financially viable and will be asked to account for spending and program results. Additional criteria include:
- Organizations that received gifts in the prior years but did not file an acceptable Gift Accountability Report by the due date are not eligible for the current program.
- IRS-qualified 501 (c)(3) entities must be registered with a current status with the State of California Department of Justice, Office of the Attorney General’s Registry of Charitable Trusts. Status must be verified by the applicant prior to submission and can be done by conducting a search via the online tool provided by the State of California Department of Justice, Office of the Attorney General: http://oag.ca.gov/charities
- With the exception of K-14 educational institutions, which are addressed below, each applying organization is limited to one application.
- Restrictions on applications from K-14 educational institutions include:
- Applications from public and charter schools must be endorsed by the school Principal or Dean.
- Multiple applications from the same school must be prioritized by the Principal or Dean.
- Applications may be submitted by public and charter schools and the County Offices of Education in Alameda, Contra Costa and San Joaquin Counties, as well as public and charter school educational foundations and PTAs in these Counties. All school related applications, regardless of entry mechanism, require endorsement from the Principal or Dean, as appropriate.
- Faith-based entities may apply, but the gift cannot be used for religious purposes.
The LLNS Community Gift Program receives a high volume of applications each year. Unfortunately, not all applications are eligible for a gift. Following is a list of criteria that will render an application ineligible:
- 501 (c)(3) organizations not registered as current with the State Attorney General's Registry of Charitable Trusts.
- General administrative, organizational, operating, and advertising costs, and printing of flyers or other publications to generally promote an organization and its services.
- General fund-raising or support for fund-raising events (e.g., walk-a-thons, dinner sponsorships, etc.).
- Organizations that received gift funds in previous years and failed to complete required elements (e.g. completing and returning Accountability Reports to LLNS).
- Food or beverages.
- Home-based child care/educational services.
- Private and/or parochial schools.
- Individual(s) sponsorships of any kind.
- Fraternal, labor, social or athletic associations, organizations or clubs.
- Political or lobbying organizations or those supporting the candidacy of particular individuals.
- Non-U.S. organizations or organizations whose activities are mainly international or national in focus.
- Organizations benefiting or serving animals.
- Building and/or infrastructure improvements.
- Purchases of automobiles, trucks, vans or other modes of transportation.
- Equipment other than scientific or special needs equipment for eligible K-14 schools. “Equipment” includes computers, iPads, tablets, etc. unless the application provides valid justification for the STEM necessity for such purchase(s).
All applicants should expect to be notified of the outcome of their application by October 31, 2019. Applicants will be notified via email or telephone. Please ensure all contact information is current and valid on application.
Timeline (dates below may be subject to change; updates will be posted on this webpage)
- Monday, May 13, 2019 — gift call
- Friday, August 16, 2019 — final day for application
- Early November — gift awards presented
- Friday, December 20, 2019 — Accountability Reports due
The LLNS Community Gift Program's Application Review Committee will review
each application and provide its award recommendations to the LLNS President.
To submit an application:
- Download the application form to your desktop. (If your browser opens the form automatically, click the Save or Download button in the viewer.)
- Complete the form on your computer using Adobe Acrobat Reader.
- Save the file with your organization's title in the filename.
- Email the completed application to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Click gift box to download
application form (pdf)
Deadline for applications is August 16, 2019.|
Submissions received after midnight
August 16th will not be considered.
email@example.com for more information.